Tuesday 22 May 2012

Review: Lush 'Sweet Lips' Lip Scrub

Lush Cosmetics never fails to both amuse and amaze me.

When I first saw the selection of lip scrubs on the shelf in my local Lush store, I thought to myself: "What a complete waste of money." It seemed essentially like an overpriced pot of sugar. I didn't quite understand what good it would do to my lips. It was only after actually picking up one of the pots and reading further, I finally understood how sugar was a perfect ingredient for intense lip exfoliation.

(I apologise for the blurry picture, I was in a bit of a rush this morning!)
 
I am prone to coughs and colds, and when I do get them I eventually end up with dry and chapped lips to match. I've also found that quite a lot of even the most moisturising lipsticks leave my skin feeling dry and flaky. I've had a constant struggle with lip balms, purely because I tend to misplace them and get quite annoyed with having to reapply them. However, Lush's selection of Lip Scrubs aim to deeply exfoliate the lips, removing the dead flaky skin and leaving the fresh skin moisturised and smooth. The use of the small grains of castor sugar act as a gentle scrub, and has added jojoba oil to eliminate the need to use a lip balm (although it does say to apply one!) to moisturise your flake-free lips.

However, Lush has taken this one step further and added the natural flavourings of vanilla and chocolate, so after you're finished buffing your lips you can simply lick off the excess!


When applying, I found that you had to be quite liberal with the amount of product, but the fact that the key ingredient is sugar, it means that it can get pretty messy! I wouldn't advise this scrub being used after finishing your full face of makeup as I had to brush away quite a few stray sugar grains and it messed with my make-up a little. However, that is my only bad point. The scrub works wonders in ensuring your lips have a flawless finish, and it tastes amazing! They are quite generous with the portion size (25g), and I believe that to be because it tastes so good sometimes I find myself dipping my finger in just to eat it! It really does taste and smell of chocolate! Also, the jojoba oil provides light moisture, making it safe to consume and doesn't leave your lips feeling greasy.

I love the idea that something so natural can work just as effectively as lip balms that use nasty petroleum (which is essentially made from oil and petrol derivatives!) as a key ingredient. The packaging gives a homemade feel to it which is quite typical of Lush products, and it's compact size means you can carry it with you in your bag and can re-buff throughout the day if need be.

Lush's Lip Scrubs also come in two other flavours - 'Bubblegum' and 'Mint Julips' (Mint chocolate), so there really is one for everyone's taste. £4.95 is quite steep for something that is so simple and looks like a small pot of sugar, but I think for the amount, taste and end result it is something that I will continue to use all year round.

You can purchase Sweet Lips Lip Scrub on the Lush website here or in your local Lush shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment