Tuesday 11 September 2012

Why Do You Wear Makeup?

 (Black and white filter time - I'm feeling weird tonight!)

I got this idea from a post from Llymlrs and I thought it was a really interesting to read peoples reasons for diving head-first into the world of beauty, so I thought i'd write a little bit about my reasons. 

I didn't wear makeup properly until I was at least 17/18. When I went to my prom or on an occasional night out I would wear powder and some mascara, but anything more than that i'd shy away from. I always thought i'd go without it and then when I wear makeup on a night out people would really notice the difference, which they did. But slowly, as I became more absorbed in fashion, discovered new brands and secured internships that involved expanding my knowledge in both the fashion and beauty world my makeup bag began to build. There was a moment when an ex-boyfriend of mine (Who shall remain anonymous) told me that I was becoming superficial for wearing makeup; and that seriously stuck with me. Obviously I didn't see it that way, I saw it as someone who was comfortable enough to enjoy experimenting with new things and actually began to take pride in her appearance.

I don't rely on makeup in the slightest, I wear it most days but if I feel that my skin needs a break or I just generally can't be bothered I can go out bare faced (And my skin has thanked me for it!). Hunting for new products excites me, and I actually looked forward to putting on my makeup in the morning - there's something about getting dolled up on a daily basis that really boosts my mood. Makeup is supposed to enhance your natural beauty, so I never cake it on. I was always the tomboy in school, always the bare faced one who forgot to run a brush through her hair in the mornings, so the fact that I love makeup now is quite funny and unbelievable to some people - and it's strange to think that something that is 'unnatural' can make me feel more like me than I ever had done.

Why do you wear makeup? 

1 comment:

  1. Great post, i love applying make-up too, its my favourite part of my mornings normally! I totally agree with your post :)

    Sophierosehearts x

    ReplyDelete