Friday 12 September 2014

Braving Black Lipstick

I love wearing black. It's classic, simple and goes with everything. I base a lot of my outfits around the colour black, but i'm the total opposite when it comes to cosmetics. I think because I have pale skin and blue eyes I immediately go for soft colours like pale pinks and corals, and tend to shy away from brighter colours incase it makes me look even paler. However, I got the chance to try out MAC's Hautecore*, which is a matte black, and thought it would be the perfect opportunity to take the plunge and try something totally out of my comfort zone.

After doing my research, i've now realised that Hautecore isn't available anymore (Although there are a few floating around on Ebay), so i'll post a few alternatives below! 




I actually kind of love this! I don't know why. I tested this out on a day where I didn't want to put on too much make-up, so everything else is quite natural which looks a little odd. Because it's such a dramatic colour I wanted to keep things quite low-key, but i'm now thinking I went a little too low-key and should have at least done my brows (as I like to have them quite dark!) instead of just running Benefit's Gimme Brow through them. As its a matte shade it needed a few coats and you can still see some fleshy tones poking through, so i'd definitely recommend investing in a lip liner of the same shade - as you can tell I didn't have one! 

This has definitely proven to me that black lipstick is actually quite wearable. I always thought it was something that only Kylie Jenner could pull off, but I think if you have pale skin it can look quite cool. I now can't wait to pull this out on a night out, or even brave it as a day look perhaps? Maybe not. Either way i'm quite proud that i'm now reaching for darker colours and embracing my inner goth! Haha. What do you think of black lipstick? Do you have a favourite that I should be trying out? Let me know! 

Alternative Matte Black Lip Colours
Barry M Lip Paint in 37
Lime Crime Black Velvet
Illamasqua Lipstick in Pristine

No comments:

Post a Comment