Saturday 22 November 2014

My Graduation/ Overall University Experience


So around this time two weeks ago, I graduated university. Surrounded by my friends and family, I awkwardly walked across the stage praying to God that my slightly-too-big right shoe wouldn't fall off. When I did my annual weekend flat clean (Don't make fun, i'm becoming very house-proud since getting my own place!) I finally unpacked my diploma and all the wonderful cards and presents I received from family, and it got me thinking that I should do a post about university. 

To me, university was one of the best and worst experiences of my life. I will say now, if you are a worrier in any way, university will be very difficult for you. I'm not saying you won't get through it, but be prepared to pick up some sort of anxiety or awful habit (I actually got back into my childhood bad habit of pulling my hair out, but that's another post altogether) and spend the majority of the time second-guessing yourself. I now feel sick every time I think about assignment writing and could cry with joy every time I see a status from a current student moaning about their essay or dissertation topic, because I know I never have to do anything like that again. Yes, I know that sounds mean, but I did my time and feel it's my right to be happy that it's over with! 

I started university as one person, and feel like by the time i'd left I was ready to become an adult. That sounds weird to say and if you ask anyone that knows me they'll tell you that the words "I don't want to grow up!" are frequently said by me in any conversation, but really, by the time you get to third year, things will start to die down and you have to start seriously thinking about your future. Everyone's experience is different, but for me I was sick of feeling uncertain and wanted some direction.

Anxiety aside, I definitely think university was one of the best things i've ever done. I've met some incredible friends, experienced living somewhere new, and found out that I could do so much more than I ever thought I could do. The job I have now I would never have got if I hadn't gone to University and I would never have met my future husband. I didn't really come out of my shell until the end of second year, which was unlike me and frankly, a bit of a waste. However, I really feel like everything happens for a reason and that i've closed a really amazing chapter of my life with no regrets. 


No comments:

Post a Comment